As this day comes to an end, I want to take a moment to reflect.
Lynn and I witnessed a great thing today while we were watching the Browns game at a local restaurant. They were showing a tribute to 9/11 prior to the 4pm game and as the trumpet player began Taps, the entire restaurant became silent. Every one stopped talking, eating, serving… It was an amazing thing – it took my breath.
I have noticed today that many people have shared where they were during the tragic event 10 years ago. Where was I? I was teaching in Jacksonville, NC. I remember that my classroom didn’t have a working television, so my colleague and I were hearing bits from students as they come into the classroom. We didn’t understand. Finally, we learned. It was one of the hardest moments of my teaching career --so many of our students were occupied with thoughts of their family and friends and questions of what this meant. I should mention that Jacksonville is home of Camp Lejuene Marine base. The town was shut down that day; most, if not all, of the marines were called to base and families stayed inside looking for reasons and understanding. It was spooky how deserted the town felt for weeks.
Much has changed over these last 10 years; I have lived in 3 different states and as you know, have changed careers. But I have not forgotten what changed that September 11th. As a nation, we became united, we were reminded of how great our nation is, and were reminded how precious life is for everyone. My heart and prayers are always with those that were lost that day, those that have lost loved ones and those who sacrifice their lives and time with their family every day so that I can live a great life.
Take another moment to reflect on the positives in your life, to be thankful for everything you have and to remember there are people making sacrifices for us.
"God bless the family members who have to endure that loss and God guide us to our reunion in heaven, and God bless the United States of America." - Rudy Giuliani
Well said Dr. Rich!! We all have a great life because of the sacrifices of others. Let us remember where we were that day. Let us reflect on days such as this. Most of all let us live a life worthy of their sacrifices.
ReplyDelete